Learning about Procedural Writing – Procedure Games!

This morning (7th October) we went outside to play some games which we read from a procedural text because we are learning about procedural texts in writing.

First we got into groups and each group read a different procedural texts that described how to play a game.

Then we went outside to play the games, following the procedures we had read. Each group taught the rest of the grade how to play their game then the whole class played.

The first game was ‘Couple Tag’. The next was ‘Robber-Theif’ and the last game was ‘Wagon Wheel’. We read them from a book called “Don’t Forget Your Whistle”, edited by Peter Meaney.

Here are some things we learnt about procedural writing:
1. They use specific language such as ‘clasped hands’ to describe the steps in detail
2. Some procedures use different words as their subheadings, eg instead of ‘goal’ they might use ‘objective’ or ‘aim’.
3. A procedure for a game needs: objective, equipment, age level, duration, number of people/teams, description, diagram
4. The writing needs to be clear and specific for the reader to understand. For example, in one of the procedures we read, it said to have a ball for each team. We thought that it would be better for it to say ‘4 balls’ because we got confused later in the procedure.
5. A cooking procedure is called a ‘recipe’ and sometimes it says ‘method’ instead of ‘description’ or ‘steps’
6. Most of us have followed some sort of procedure before – for a game, craft, building something, cooking etc.
7. A procedure is a list of instructions or steps that teach you how to do something.

Write at least one new thing you learnt from this post.
Have you played any of the games listed above before?
Have you written/followed a procedure before?
What would you write a procedure about?

Following Procedures on PhotoPeach

13 thoughts on “Learning about Procedural Writing – Procedure Games!

1. Hello,
    We have played all of them games today. We have write a lot of procedures. We are writing a procedure about golden ball we made it up.
    We learnt how to play the 3 games.

Bye for now
    From Brent and George
    πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

2. Hi everyone its Brian and Seth here,

Seth has learnt : How to make a real procedure.
    Brian has learnt: How to handwrite a procedure.
    Seth hasn’t played any of these games only when we were trying at school and Brian is the same.
    Seth and Brian have written a procedure at school but have not followed a procedure before.
    Seth: How to play a video game
    Brian: How to play computer games.

Bye for now Brian and Seth

3. Hi 4/5P
    We really enjoyed this mornings games.
    We have played couple tiggy before today.
    I have learnt a procedure before about dodgeball and I wrote a procedure before about how to make lemonade.
    We would write a procedure about how to be an awesome gamer.
    Some steps in procedures are hard to understand.
    See ya Cam and Nick

4. One thing we learned from this post was that it is very important to follow the procedure correctly or the game wont work.

No we have never played any of these games before but ‘Couple Tag” was very much like ‘Tiggy’.

I (Ethan) baked cupcakes in my holidays so I had to follow a recipe (baking procedure).
    I (Hayden) build Lego and follow the procedures on how to build the Lego.

We would write a procedure on how to build ‘Transformers’ with the Blocks.

From Hayden and Ethan

5. Hi 4/5P and Mrs Placek

We liked playing the games and following the steps!!
    Write at least one thing you learnt- We learnt that you have to follow steps and we also learnt that some procedores have different languge!

Have you played any of these games listed before- We have not played any of these games before, but the first time was when we played it in the morning today!

Have you followed a procedure before- Yes we have when we were cooking.

What would you write a procedure about- We would write a procedure about ‘how to make a cake’.

That is all for now!
    Bye got to go
    Olivia S and Alani O

6. Hello 4/5 P
    We read through the post and watched the photo peach. We love the photo peach! Usually action pictures don’t work out that well.

Write at least one new thing you learnt from this post:
    We learn’t that the message has the be clear so it is easier for the reader.

Yes we have played all of them in class, our favourite was robber-theif. It is hard to understand things if they aren’t specific and have a clear message.

We have written and followed plenty and more at school. One of our procedures was called ‘How to play Golden Child’. We haven’t published it yet but it is on the way.

What would you write a procedure about?
    We would write it about riding horses! (Of course) It would be called ‘How to ride a horse’. Our second choice would be ‘How to groom a horse’.

We enjoyed reading the post and hope there is a new post soon.
    If you want to do some more commenting you can visit: http://roma.global2.vic.edu.au and http://kaitlyn.global2.vic.edu.au
    Hope to see some comments on our blogs,
    Roma and Kaitlyn

7. Hello,

We are going to answer all the questions straight away!

Write at least one new thing you learnt from this post – We learnt that ‘Objective’ means the same as ‘Goal’. Also, we learnt you use a different word depending on the type of procedure. e.g: If you are writing a cooking procedure you can use ‘Method’ instead of ‘Description’.

Have you played any of the games listed above – Of course. All of our class played the games.Our favourite game was ‘Wagon Wheel.

Have you written/followed a procedure before – Yes! I followed a procedure when I was shrinking a chip packet. It turned out to be key-ring size. Also, when I was baking a cake. It was YUM!!!

What would you write a procedure about – i would write a procedure about ‘How to make a paper plane’ or ‘How to make coloured and flavoured pancakes’.

Have you ever followed a procedure to bake a cake?

What would you write about if you wrote a procedure?

Bye,
    Tayla-Jade and Scarlet πŸ™‚

8. Hi everyone,
    Ebony and Kayla here!
    One thing Kayla and Ebony learnt was that ‘Objective’ is the same as a ‘Goal’.
    Ebony has play a game similar to ‘Robber-Theif’.
    Kalya has play one two cop tag.
    Ebony has done a lot of recipes and Kayla has too!
    Ebony would write a procedure about Run Chick Run it is fun!
    Kayla would write one on 6 corners.
    Bye Ebony and Kayla

9. Hi 4\5P its Mia and Emily,
    One thing that I learnt that you should use lots of descriptive writing so the person who is reading the text will understand.
    Emily learnt that you can learn how to play games by reading a procdure.

Yes me and Emily have played all the games listed above.

Yes I have read a procedure before on a resipe. and Emily has also read one on a recipe.

Would write a procedure about a rainbow and Emily would write one about cheese.

Bye for now Mia and Emily.

10. Yo yo 4/5p
    We will answer your questions. Here they are!
    4/5P asks: Have you played any of the games listed above before? Why would we? We only heard of them today!
    4/5P asks: Have you written/followed a procedure before? Of course we have!
    4/5P asks: What would you write a prcedure about? How to play Call of duty Black ops of course!
    Seeya

11. Hello every body!

A1: Some procedures use different words as their subheadings, eg instead of β€˜goal’ they might use β€˜objective’ or β€˜aim’.

A2:I have now!

A3: Yes : when doing sport at another school, which is like the procedure I am doing in writing right now!

A4: I am doing one about the one I played at wallan which is called “Bastacle Dodgeball”.

Grayson

12. Hey class,
    We are going to answer some quistions.
    1.We learnt the the people that wrote the text weren’t so specific.
    2. Yes we have both written a procedure lots of times!
    3.We would write a procedure on a sport because we love sport!!!

Got to go,
    Bailey and Bradley πŸ™‚

13. Hello 4/5P and world,

Alicia: That it is harder to follow someone elses instructions when you have never heard or played the game before.
    Olivia: Sometimes it is easy to play someone elses game and sometimes it is very hard to follow someone elses procedure.

Olivia: Not until we had to play them as a class.
    Alicia: I have played a game like Couple Tag and Robber Theif.

Alicia: I have followed instrutions before but I didnt understand it.
    Olivia: Yes I made a procedure before called How to make a bag.

Olivia: How to ride a dirt bike.
    Alicia: How to make a good dessert.

Bye for now
    Alicia & Olivia