Island Maps

In maths we have designed our own islands on 1cm grid paper. We are learning to use keys and coordinates to locate information and describe positions on maps.

We have written questions for our partners to answer. For example, “What is located at E5?” or “Describe the location of the chocolate factory using coordinates”.

Here are some of our islands.

Where have you seen coordinates before?
What was easy/challenging when creating the island map?

And….

What three things would you take with you to a deserted island??

26 thoughts on “Island Maps

1. Hi everyone,

The maps look great! What is the co-ordinate for the chocolate factory? I think that is the first thing I would find out!!

I have seen co-ordinates on Melway maps before. If I remember correctly, some maps don’t use the letter ‘I’ in their co-ordinates. Can you work out why?

Where is the deserted island…does it have power? Assuming it has power, I would take my iPad and charger (that’s only counts as one item because the charger is attached to the iPad) so I could take photos and stay connected to the world. I think chocolate would have to be packed as well because it always makes me feel happy and gives me a bit of a boost. Millie was going to be my third item but I am not sure she would enjoy it. How long am I going to the island for? What do you think my third item should be?

Looking forward to seeing you out your map reading skills to the test when we head off on camp next term!

Miss Crowther 🙂

• Hi Miss Crowther,
      On the map that is on the right hand side at the bottom the co ordinates for the Chocolate factory is O 26. I have seen co ordinates on maps in books and things. It was quite easy to make them.

Kaitlyn

• Hello Kaitlyn

We think that coordinates are easy to work out and make. On a desert island we would take water, food and clothes. So we could survive the danger.
        What would you do if you were stuck on a desert island?

Bye for now
        Got to go
        Alani and Olivia

• Hi Miss Crowther,
      We think the maps look cool, too. Gypsy and Roma would go to the horse place first! Olivia would go to the golf course or a dirt bike track!

We have seen the Melway maps before, too. We don’t know why they don’t use the letter ‘I’ in the Melways.
      Roma and Gypsy thinks that your third item should be a sweeyt chestnut horse with a blaze and 4 socks. Olivia thinks your third item should be ice cream.

Thanks for commenting on our blog.
      Olivia, Roma and Gypsy

• Hi Miss Crowther,
      On the map that is at the top left, the co ordinates for the Chocolate factory is L 13. I have seen co ordinates in maps and school. It is as simple as pie to make them. I would take my dog (Millie) my whole family and my Ipod.
      Ebony

2. Hi 4/5P

If I had to go to a deserted island on my own I would take these three things:
    1. Pokemon cards
    2. Hot Wheels cars
    3. Transformers

I would take them to keep busy and play.

From Ethan

3. Hello 4/5P
    I liked making island maps. It was fun! My island was called the hoilday island! It had a funpark and a chocolate barn. What was your island called?
    What did you make in it? I like making island maps. It was easy to colour in and make the spaces for the places. It was tricky to make up questions to go with the map.
    If I were on a deserted island I would take a phone, chips and a game to play.
    Bye got to go
    Olivia S

4. Hello Bloggers,

The Island maps were really fun to make and decorate. We had lots of good ideas for making our Islands. We had to write coordinates (numbers and letters) to help us write questions. We made them colourful and we worked hard to finish them.

What atractions would you have on your Island?

Have you ever made a dream Island?

I would take these three things to a deserted island: my mum, dad and water!

I have seen coordinates on a Melways.

From Tayla-Jade

• Hi Tayla-Jade

I agree, there were lots of great ideas about what to put on the islands. Have you seen them up on display? Lots of people have admired them and commented on all your hard work.

If I made a dream island I would put a fun park, a chocolate factory and a BIG shopping centre. I think I would also put on a luxury resort and make sure there were lots of beautiful beaches to relax on.

Sound like a great place for a holiday, doesn’t it?

From Mrs Placek

5. Hello 4/5P and Mrs Placek
    The trees were easy and colouring the spaces for the places around my park. It was tricky to answer questions on other peoples maps. Colouring the spaces was fun!!
    What was your map called?
    Bye got to go
    Kayla

• Hi Kayla,
      We think that the drawing and colouring was fun too. I think it was tricky to work out coordinates. Ebony and Mia’s map was called Girl Only Island.
      Alicia’s island was called Chocolate Heaven.

Bye for now
      from Ebony, Mia and Alicia

6. Hello everyone its Seth, Brian and Hayden here,

In math classes we have been making island maps. We got some grid paper and a ruler, and made our map.

We have seen coordinates in the game that we sometimes in maths.
    We would take a backpack with food and water bottle.

Brian found making a key and so did Hayden.

Bye for now
    Seth, Brian and Hayden.

7. Hey class,
    Making the island maps was really fun!!! You where allowed to make EVERYTHING up on our map! It was really cool!! I put lots of made up things in my map!!

I have seen coordinates before on a map. It was easy to make things up!! To a desert island I would take: My diabetes tester, lots of drinks and food!!

What would you take to a desert island?
    Have you made a made up island map?

Got to go!!
    Bailey 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

8. Hi 4/5P Nick and I have seen coordinates before. 1 of them is MINECRAFT it is the most epic game but lets get back to talking about coordinates. You have y z x coordinates and you also have South North East and West. We though the island map was challenging but we managed to get through it.
    Nick says 1 a compass because you can get off your island 2 a map to show you where important things are 3 a clock to tell when you have to hunt.
    see ya bye Nick and Cam 🙂

• Hi Nick

Nick, a compass, map and a clock are very sensible things to take. Great thinking. I’m afraid my choices for a deserted island aren’t as sensible as yours, as I was thinking more along the lines of a good book, chocolate and water. I chose these because I would pass the time by reading, chocolate because I like chocolate (just a bit) and water because I would get very thirsty! But now you have got me thinking! If I was stranded on a deserted island and didn’t know when I’d get off the island I would take a map too to see what was on the island! I would also take matches to light a fire and I think I would still take some water just in case the island only had salt water to drink.

From Mrs Placek

9. Hello Miss Crowther,

Dylan: the coordinates for the chocolate factory on island #6 are I3.

Brad: the reason why maps don’t have I in their coordinates is because I looks too much like one.

We have answered two of your questions so we hope you read this reply and goodbye

From Brad and Dylan.

10. Hi bloggers its Mia,

The island maps were so much fun and the favorite thing on my map was the co-co factory. I have seen coordinates in the Melways. I would take water, my cat and my shoes.

What would you put on your Island?

BYE,
    Mia 🙂

11. Hey people,
    On a desert island I would take a drink bottle a football and 8 goal posts.
    I have seen coordiates last year on the big screen.
    George 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Hi George
      I think that you would have too have a big car for 8 goals posts. It would be very hard!
      That is all I have to say
      Bye got to go
      Olivia S

12. Hi everyone,

I thought that activity was so fun. I did chocolate heaven. Too bad it wasn’t real because I would eat the whole thing. If I could only bring three things it would be A lifetime supply of clothes, a lifetime supply of water and a lifetime supply of chocolate.
    I have seen them in the game battle ship.
    Bye for now
    Alicia

13. Hello everybody!

The top three items that I would bring to a desserted Island would be:

1. hidden blade, a blade that retracts into a metal sheath on the arm use: incase there are Animals

2. hook-blade like the hidden blade but a hook and also a blade, use: tol climde trees/ walls with ease and gain some meat

3. an axe to chop down trees use: what would you think?

these are the top three items that I would take on a desserted island and goodbye from Grayson

14. Hi 4/5 p,
    It was fun doing the maps we got to come up with diffrent shops and diffrent names. What was your favouite thing about the maps we made.

Bye for now
    From BRENT

15. Hay Mrs Placek and 4/5
    I am not writing about island maps!
    I hope we all have a safe holiday and enjoy your sleeping in! I am looking forward to sleeping in! I am shore the teacher are as well!
    What are you doing on the holidays?
    I am looking forward to coming back in term 3!
    Bye for now
    got to go
    Olivia S

16. Dear 4/5P @ UPPS,
    I can’t believe I haven’t visited your blog before now – it’s fabulous! Well, you can thank Brent for reminding me that I needed to take a look – THANK YOU BRENT! It’s great that some of you are still visiting A Room with a View – I’ve added your blog to our quick links now, so hopefully we’ll visit a little bit more often.
    Great maps guys – I love a map! Recently we did a #microadventure and we had to follow a map to get to our destination, which was a bunk barn, then some of us slept outside! It was great fun. We were surprised how massive the lake was – it looked so tiny on our map!
    If I was going to be stranded on a desert island, I would take a penknife, a very very long book – like the complete works of Charles Dickens! – and a guitar. I can’t play the guitar but I’ve always wanted to, and that would give me plenty of time to practice!
    Best wishes
    Mrs Monaghan
    A Room with a View & Class 2

17. Dear 4/5P @ UPPS,
    Best wishes – great to see you’re still all working hard!
    Mrs Monaghan
    A Room with a View & Class 2

18. Hello 4/5P

We would take an Ipad, Water, Food and Clothes. We thought that colouring was easy and answering the questions was a little hard.
    We have seen coordinates on a map and GPS.
    Bye got to go
    Olivia S and Scarlet B