Our ‘Dragon Boat Race’

One famous celebration in China is called the Dragon Boat Festival. We read about the Dragon Boat Festival and discovered it is held at the beginning of summer in China and is held on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Lunar Calendar.

Dragon Boats are long and colouful canoes and they have a dragon head on them. Eighty rowers can fit in one boat! The first team to grab the flag at the end of the course wins.

Here’s our version of the Dragon race!

“Dragon Boat Race” on PhotoPeach

What other celebrations from around the world do you know about?

9 thoughts on “Our ‘Dragon Boat Race’

1. Hi 4/5 P and Mrs Placek

We know lots of celebrations from around the world. One celebration in Japan is the Children’s festival. It used to be called the boys festival. They get to fly kites. The littlest gets to fly a big kite. They get to fly carp kites.

Another festival is the Cherry Blossom Tree festival. In Japan, the Cherry Blossoms make a path. Families get to have picnics under the blossom trees. They lay around the trees. The cherry blossom trees are pink.

From 1J and Miss Joy

• Hi Miss Joy,

I know some festivals too. Some of the festivals I know of are The Dragon Boat Festival and Chinese New Year. Chinese people race boats in the Dragon Boat Festival.

In The Chinese New Year Festival there are dancing dragons and a lot of red.

Bradley

2. Hello Miss Joy and 1J

We do not know what a cherry blossom tree is. Now that you told us that it is pink. Now we really know that the colour of the cherry blossom tree is pink. We think that the cherry blossom tree will look really pretty. Have you seen a blossom tree before? Are you learning about Japan? What else have you learnt about Japan? We guess that you must of learnt about cherry blossom trees! We are learning about China. We have learnt that they wash their clothers in the river, lake and ocean. We also learnt about Chinese New Year and the Dragon Boat Festival. When it is Chinese New Year people make a dragon out of silk, paper and bamboo. It is 70 meters long!

Bye for now
    Olivia S and Alani 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. Hi Miss Joy and 1J
    Thank you for putting the first comment on this post.
    We didn’t know those 2 Asian Celebrations so thanks for commenting on this post. How did you find out about these celebrations? What celebrations do you celebrate with your family?
    We learnt about Chinese New Year and found out that they set off fire crackers to scare off evil spirits.

From Nick and Cam

4. Hello everybody, this is Alex and Grayon typing here,

Alex didn’t like making the dragon mask because Natasha made him do a bit too much decoration but Grayson enjoyed the running part becausse he got some exercise.

That’s all that we can think about for now so good bye.

Alex and Grayson

5. Hello 4/5P
    I had fun making the dragon boat hats. It was the best thing I have done in inquriy. My parenter was Alani. Alani wanted to have it on her head for the race but when we did it we found out it was to small so I had to have it on my head. It was a fast walking game. You could not run because you would have to go back to the starting line and do it again.
    Bye for now
    Olivia S 🙂 🙂

6. Hi everyone
    Making the dragon boats was so much fun.
    One celebration in Russia is called the Red Hill it comes on the Sunday after Easter this day is considered the best for wedding ceremonies. also means inviting spring
    Do you know of this?

Bye Ebony

7. Hi 4/5P

I enjoyed the dragon boat race

do you enjoy the dragon boat race?

I feel like another dragon boat race at home!
    Form Natasha and Alex