Traditional Chinese Games

What games do the children in China like to play? Today we found out!
We researched traditional Chinese games….and we discovered that some were very much like the ones we play, just with a different name. A small group of students got one game assigned to them – they had to research it, learn to play it and then teach the rest of the grade how to play! (Tomorrow we will be teaching the grade Preps the traditional Chinese games, as part of our Education Week Celebration.)

Traditional Chinese Games on PhotoPeach

After we learnt and played a variety of traditional Chinese games, we wrote procedures. Check out some of our procedures below. Maybe you would like to play them with your grades or families!

chinese jump rope.docx

Pick Up 7 Game.docx

Hopscotch.docx

Chasing the Dragon’s Tail.docx

Have you played any of these games before? Which one is your favourite?
Do you know of any other games that are popular in another country?
What are some of your favourite games?

8 thoughts on “Traditional Chinese Games

1. Hi 4/5p,

Today it was fun I loved doing the activities with my buddies the best activity was the China jump rope it was fun and it was hard, the next best activity was the Chasing the dragon’s tail it was fun , then Hopscotch it was easy and least fun activity was the Pick up 7 it was very very very very difficult

at my old school we played China jump rope

What were your favourite activities today?

I looked at your school blog, I see you put new stuff in it looks great I love the school pet he is so cute and I like the background.

from Natasha

2. Hello everyone,

I have played all of the games before at my house and my Nans house. My Nan and Pop taught me and my sisiters.
    Chinese Jump Rope is my favourite because it is tricky when you have not played it in a while, to get use to the routines again and it is fun because it involes jumping which i like doing.
    I don’t know any other popular games from another country.
    I have lots of favourite games. Some of my favourite games are chasey, football, races and gym type of games.

Got to go now,
    Olivia M

3. Hi,
    My favourites were Chinese Jump rope and pick up seven. Pick up seven is hard and I only managed to get two, but it was still fun to try. Jump Rope was easy so I love it because you keep trying to get better each time.
    I like link tigy, you have to link arms with someone and you have a tigger and a running person. the running person runs away from the tigger and quickly links arms with 1 of the people who stand still, once the person who was running linkls arms then the other person has joined you and you’re on the outside not touching the runner you become the runner and keeps going like that.
    Happy Blogging
    Kaitlyn

4. Hello,
    I have played all of these games before and my favourite game is Chinese Jump Rope because you jump a lot and jumping is good excercise. I don’t know any other popular of traditional games from another country. Some of my favourite games are Football, Soccer and races. I like those games because I am a bit of a tom boy.

Got to go,
    Tayla-Jade

5. Hey class,
    Playing the traditional Chinese games were fun!! 🙂 I wasn’t there at the time we started playing because I was at guitar lessons with Bradley, but it was still fun!!!! I saw a photo of me in a group photo and it was really funny it looked weird.

Bye Bye
    Bailey 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 : ) : )

6. Hello 4/5P
    I think I enjoyed the elastics because I like learning it and it was easy to learn. I am liking learning new games. What is your favorite game?why?
    My sister in grade 1 is doing a study on Japan and she likes learning anout Japan!
    I am having fun learning about China. It has been my favourite thing this year.
    I hope you like learning about China and playing the Chinese games!

Bye for now 🙂 🙂
    Olivia 🙂

• Hi Olivia

I enjoyed playing the games too! Pick up 7 was very tricky! I remember playing a game similar to Pick Up 7 when I was younger. It was called Jacks. We used plastic Jacks and Jacks made out of bones!
      I love playing elastics, I played this all the time at school. It was really fun to play it again yesterday. I think the Preps had fun too, do you?
      I have also enjoyed learning about China, I am learning new things too and I think it is very interesting to learn about how other countries are different to ours. What is the most interesting fact you have learnt? What do you think is different/similar about China and Australia?

From Mrs Placek