Writer’s Notebooks!

Our Writer’s Notebooks!

What’s better than a fresh, brand new, empty notebook? A fresh, new, empty WRITER’S Notebook! 🙂 The blank pages are waiting excitedly to be filled with our thoughts, ideas, stories, thinking, opinions and writing!!

We are so excited to begin our Writer’s Notebooks. Some of us have bought in our own special Writer’s Notebooks from home, and all of us have made a Writer’s Notebook front cover which gives away a little bit of our personality and interests. It is important to personalise our notebooks because it is for OUR ideas and thinking! From this Writer’s Notebook will come great things – narratives, recounts, persuasive texts, information reports and more.

First we must plant a seed. A seed can be ANYTHING – a picture, a photograph, a word, a quote, a headline, an artefact, lyrics to a song, a news article, a caption…anything that gets us thinking. Using this seed, we record our thoughts and ideas in our Writer’s Notebook.

We are just beginning to use our Writer’s Notebooks and have looked at a few different ‘seeds’ so far. They include a photo of an elephant and its calf, a map of the world, a quote about friendship and a word. We used the graphic organiser “I THINK, I FEEL, I WONDER” to organise our thoughts in a logical and structured way.

Here is an example of our thinking from today. We used a picture of two children counting their money into piggy banks as our seed. We used the 6 Thinking Hats to organise our thinking.

6 Thinking Hats.docx

What would you choose as a seed? Why?
What are you most looking forward to about our Writer’s Notebooks?

8 thoughts on “Writer’s Notebooks!

1. Hello 4/5P!

I am looking forward to using my Writer’s Notebook too. I am thinking I will choose one of these for my first seed….
    1) a photo of something that is important to me. I think from this photo I could write a recount about a time or event in my life.
    2) a quote. Quotes always get me thinking! I think I could fill a whole page with my thinking just from a seed that only contains one or two sentences!
    3) a picture of a cake. From this seed, I could write an explanation about how to make a cake!

What will you use as your first seed?
    I can’t wait to see what you will come up with!

Mrs Placek 🙂

2. Hello peeps,
    I think the “Writers Notebook” is a great idea! I braing in about 15 writing seeds!! They were sooooooooooooo FUNNY! You should see them!!

Got to do some reading 😉
    Bye
    Bailey 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. Sup 4/5P it’s Cam here.
    In this comment hopefully i don’t forget punctuation.
    I brang in my writers notebook in today i think my seed will be an Xbox 360 or a Video game bye guys let me know if i forgot punctuation 🙂 P.S anyone for group tiggy
    Cam

4. Hi 4/5p,

We will show you a sample writers notebook page.
    The picture won’t work so we will describe the picture we have chosen.

Black Horses running along the beach.

Think: Pretty, fast, gorgeous, lovely and Black.
    Feel: happy and wonderful
    wonder: what are there names?
    Whose horses are they?
    Why are they at the beach?
    Bye for now
    Kaitlyn and Roma

5. Hello everyone,

We are going to answer the questions.

What would you choose as a seed and why?- Tayla-Jade would choose a horse photo because horses are her favourite animal and they inspire her.
    Grayson would choose something with a lot of information because the more information you get the more you can do.

What are you most looking forward to about the Writers notebook?- Grayson said he isn’t looking forward to anything and Tayla-Jade said she is looking forward to filling her book with creativity.

From Tayla-Jade and Grayson 🙂