It is better to live now than in the past.

Are you for or against this statement?

Each week the students of 4/5P have been adding evidence to our debate wall. We need to decide whether we agree with the statement “It is better to live now than in the past*”  or whether we disagree. Then we find evidence to support our view.

*For this debate, we defined ‘living in the past’ as living in Australia before European settlement. 

Which view do you take – for or against?

What evidence would you add to our debate wall?

10 thoughts on “It is better to live now than in the past.

1. Hi,
    I would prefer to live now than in the past because we have a lot more things to use like electronic devices e.g ipads, ipods, phones, digital camera’s and T.V’s. We can travel by car and aeroplane. But living in the past would be fun because they could do things that we don’t do now like riding a horse to school.

From Roma

2. Hello 4/5P
    I think it is better to live now than in the past because we have shops everywhere and we have a lot more like houses than in the past!! They only had sticks leves and people to cudle up to. That they live with and close to the others around them.
    I have brought in three things for our wall at the back of the room! I have brought two things to live now and one thing that it is better to live in the past!
    But I still think that it is better to live now than in the past!

What do you think is it better to live now than in the past? Why?

Bye for now
    Olivia S

• Hi Olivia,

I think our wall looks fantastic too! Since I took this photo, so many more interesting things have been added to our wall. I think you have all been very creative in what you have come up with! You are also all able to explain WHY you have put up each item.

I can’t wait to see how the debates go in the next few weeks!

Mrs Placek

3. Hi everyone,

We both agree that it is better to live now than in the past.
    It is good to live now than in the past because you have shops to buy things to keep us alive e.g sunsceam and lots of other things

bye for now. Olivia and Gypsy

4. Hello 4/5P
    I think it is better to live in the past than now because living in the past would be fun because they could do things that we don’t do now like riding a horse to school. That would be really fun!!!!!!!
    bye for now
    Kaitlyn and Roma

5. Hi 4/5 p,
    Natasha think it is better to live now then in the past
    because we have more electronics to help us find information.
    Ebony think it better to live in the past than now
    becuse you had no taxes.
    What do you think?

Ebony and Natasha

6. Hi everyone

It’s Hayden.
    The debate wall is coming together really well.
    I added a CD under ‘for’ because now we can play songs on a CD player.

I think it is better to live now than in the past because we have microwaves, CDs, DVDS and DS and iPods. We also have phones. You can do anything with them and they did not have them in the past.

From Hayden

7. Hi everyone,

I think it is best to live now than in the past.l think that because it is hard to grow enough food.

Another reason I would live now than in the past is that I like sport. I like to go see my team play at the MCG. I also like to travel by aeroplane and you could not do that back then.

From Bradley

8. Hey everybody!

It’s Gray here and I think that it is better to live in between because in the past you wouldn’t be as lazy as you are now, however it would be harder in life than what it would be now, and a bit now because we have technology (tek-nol-o-jee) and machines but because we do we waste our precious life.

a long, quality comment from Gray.